|Photo courtesy of Nancy Hall|
- Breathe in deeply through the nose, and let the air flow into your lungs, filling up the chest all the way to the gut, even into the toes.
- Imagine compassion streaming into your body with the air, dissolving any unpleasant sensations or aches in the body.
- As you breathe out, release any tension in your body along with feelings of anxiety, fear, or sadness and give it over to the wide space in front of you.
- Localize a thought and imagine putting this thought in a chair or in a corner of the room.
- Look at the thought, acknowledge it.
- Do the same for one or two other thoughts you may have.
- Now put these thoughts on different chairs or in different spots in the room.
- Are any of these thoughts helpful to you? If not, why don’t you ask them to wait in their chairs or even in another room if that feels safer to you, until you are ready to work with them.